Dear friend, chicken whisperer, goat wrangler, and Mommy to Chili Dog with Cheese on Top (what an introduction) gave me this recipe and a starter bag right after Christmas!
How exciting! A new adventure begins! (Dramatic music) I copied and pasted the exact recipe emailed to me. For some reason, the formatting got a little wonky.
AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW: The bread is very good and makes a great gift. Only the Amish know how to create a starter, so if you give all of yours away, you will have to wait until someone gives you one back. Should this recipe not be passed to a friend on the first day, be sure to date the bag, and be sure to let them know what day the bag is on.
Please note: DO NOT use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing. DO NOT refrigerate.
If air gets in the bag, let it out. It is normal for the batter to rise and ferment.
________ Day 1 Do Nothing
________ Day 2 Mash the Bag
________ Day 3 Mash the Bag
________ Day 4 Mash the Bag
________ Day 5 Mash the Bag
________ Day 6 Add to the Bag: 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk, Mash the Bag.
________ Day 7 Mash the Bag
________ Day 8 Mash the Bag
________ Day 9 Mash the Bag
________ Day 10
1. Pour entire contents of the bag into a non-metal bowl. ADD 1½ cups sugar and 1½ cups milk.
2. Measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into a 1 gallon Ziplock Bags. Keep a starter for yourself and give away 3 others to friends along with a copy of this recipe (Note: you will be baking every 10 days if you keep a starter. )
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. To Remaining Batter add the following:
1 cup oil (or ½ cup oil and ½ cup applesauce)
½ cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1½ tsp baking power
½ tsp of each: vanilla, baking soda and salt
1 large box of instant vanilla pudding
(Optional: add 1 cup of raisins or chopped nuts)
3. Grease 2 loaf pans. Mix ½ cup sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon. Dust the pans ½ this mixture.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the top Bake for 1 hour, cool until bread loosens from the sides.